Tuesday, June 17, 2008

time travel

The days are going by so quickly. I remember my uncle explaining to me that the passage of time could be measured with a mathematical equation - when you are five years old, a year is 1/5th of your life; hence summer seems never-ending. When you are 10 years old, a year is 1/10th of your life; summer is still delightfully long, measured in meandering months. When you are 20, and a year is 1/20th of your life, summer starts to become shorter and shorter, measured in weeks. And now that I am in my thirties (eek!) and a year is 1/33rd of my life... well, summer seems to be fleeting.

Especially here in Seattle, where we have grey skies and sixty degree weather in the middle of June.

We did manage to capture a true summer weekend though, as last weekend we went up to the San Juan Islands with some friends for a couple days of camping and kayaking. We saw blue skies, a pod of Orca whales, and a sunset at 9pm. And we ate s'mores, because A. thinks of everything.

In true summer fashion, we are measuring the days in terms of 'days off". I had to work on Monday but G had some time to spare, so he went out and procured some new paint AND repainted the master bath a more relaxed shade of green (our first choice was a bit too limey - now its more avacadoey). He is the best ever. Floor goes in next!!

No comments: