Tuesday, December 16, 2008

making candy over the weekend


In addition to having brunch on Sunday, I was cooking up a storm on Saturday, making treats for my in-laws. One of these treats are caramels - terrifying to make, but delicious to eat. I had never boiled sugar before - and seeing that frothing mass in the pan as I frantically stirred and tried to read the thermometer because 248 degrees is the stopping point, otherwise something awful happens to the time-space continuum - it was nerve wracking I tell you, good and terrifying. And then it was over. And I waited for the caramel to set, cut it into pieces, and wrapped them up. (Had some help wrapping up from my favorite ladies, J., A., and M... thanks girls!) Here's a shot of me wrapping, taken by the lovely J. (And if you can tell, I was standing right up against the counter - but look how far away my shoulders are - there's a baby in the way. Outrageous!)

1 comment:

mardi said...

love the granola and brittle...but where's the carmel? did you add gray sea salt to it?